My Photo
Name:
Location: Currently on residency in Basel Switzerland, South Africa

Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Upcoming open Studio..... In Basel


“Try to catch the deluge in a paper cup.”  Crowded House 1986

Which is to say that if your first trip to mainland Europe comes at age 35 it can be a fabulously overwhelming experience! I think of it as a positive culture shock. From an african perspective there is almost no way to explain the size of the differences we have socially, financially, morally and even philosophically. The volume of fine art, the wealth of the art collections have been an eye opener. This Basel residence made many inspiring meetings possible and many enlightening exchanges too. The challenge becomes to leave enough time in 10 weeks to focus some of this inspiration through one's sculptural process with out missing any of the spectacle. Some very promising creative relationships have been started for the future, and I have been given a thorough look into current Swiss fine art practices with all their successes and challenges.

I will show some previous kinetic suspensions I made in Japan, some maquettes for ideas Basel has given me, and works in progress of an entirely new kind for me. I hope to see you, and show you what I have made. Bring whoever you think might be interested in examples of visual art practice from deep in the southern hemisphere.

Arrive spontaneously if you like – but if you know when you might come, let me know by email please – just to help me with catering thanks!
justin.fiske01@gmail.com

Time:  Sun 28. Feb – all day from 10am to 10pm and Mon 1. March – from 5pm 

Place:  The ‘iaab ateliers’, are located in “Gross Basel”, near the Rhein, between “Gasthof Zum Goldenen Sternen’ and the Youth Hostel, two steps away from “Museum für Gegenwartskunst’. iaab atelier N° 4 St. Alban-Tal 40a 4052 Basel +41 (0)61 271 11 43

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home