My Photo
Name:
Location: Currently on residency in Basel Switzerland, South Africa

Saturday, January 2, 2010

Some Things I Made This Last Year

It occurred to me that there are numerous things that I have made this year that haven't seen the light of the internet. All for private people. All kind of out of the scope of my fine art practice. I love these distractions and they help me, .....er, distract myself and try new things and buy new tools and often throw more time and care at a present or commission than is entirely prudent,....... just to see what comes out.  Normally if you're concentrating, for long enough, it's gonna be pretty. And just sometimes,


You might find....


Ya get what ya neeed!

This little snakey number went out to my baby, Gabrielle for her birthday . It's Jap-cedar because that always  sounds posh to me, 

& for 2 days.... I had to whittle it real good. Maybe even 3...?! The time sure flies when you're making things. Hangs next to our bed now.

Then this little sharky-number went out to my babe's godson Roberto:

And she moves like so:



And last one for this evening while we are dealing with wood, I made this for the ever patient Mike Edmunds to reach his law books. It had to be made with care with wood that had a story....? I found a couple of old salvaged Teak  (railway wood) beams and a million examples of library ladders and then shot for this Naoto Fukasawa-esque goal.
 

The pictures don't really do it justice. It's a sturdy and beautifully proportioned reincarnation.... Anyway, more memories from last year's labours at another stage. Tomorrow more about Basel. 
love to you all
Gepetto




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home