My Photo
Name:
Location: Currently on residency in Basel Switzerland, South Africa

Thursday, January 17, 2008

The "Muji life".....

So this is my clean lined Japanese bedroom. A bit like living in a beautiful storage box made by Muji.  Actually it is a room for two large living Honky's. If I was Japanese I would pack my futon in a cupboard and re-purpose the space. Very rational and cultured. In fact there is a Japanese style room just like that here in my apartment & I have just decided as I type that I shall be moving with the new linen. No  huge culture shock for a happy camper, but some messy living habits may well need changing. 
I leave my shoes at the door where there are leather slip-ons to shuffle about on the coir matting. Climate is controlled by hidden air-con. Furnishings are quite energy efficient if slightly intensive: amazing paper vertical blinds on every widow; you turn on the geyser as you need hot water.  Wood paper read-matting and walls made of a soft grey paper-like substance that is warm to the touch.
 
This pic from my balcony looking in.

....and if I turn around:

I also have a large studio (challenging panoramic pic, sorry). It has a piano, lovely and distracting. The short pillars are state of the art acoustic dampeners that can be placed in the corners of the room to absorb standing waves.
If I look out the window to the left....


....I see the large courtyard. It can be used as an outdoor stage and the rocks about it can me flooded with water. Hmmm, that stage is asking for it!! I'll make rocks move above it if it's not careful. This facility is futuristic beyond anything I have ever seen or is available in South Africa. There are very few people here for various reasons, like winter, a strategic shift towards local values (more traditional) from cutting edge contemporary, and 'cause I'm a lucky guy. Sometimes it feels like I've discovered an abandoned space-ship to be used & explored.
Happy days. If I look out the window in front of me in my studio.....  


... the forest!! And the path up to the mountain.
Good times.
These people are so generous.
Love
j
ps might get some work done tomorrow, but then my bike is coming too. We'll have to see.

2 Comments:

Blogger Llewelyn said...

It couldn't have been more perfect J. It's almost as if they built the place for you! Some synchronicity man.

January 17, 2008 at 6:46 AM  
Blogger richard said...

Saionara Fiskesan. Thinking of you popping Ninja wheelies...

richard

January 18, 2008 at 3:55 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home